Not-So-Divine Comedy

Adventures of an editor and freelance writer in NYC

23.4.07

Why I Am So Sunburned Today

Speeding on a too-short and rusty bike through Brooklyn, from Williamsburg wearing its coffee-house pretensions on hipster-thin shoulders to the high-rise ghetto by Pratt to the brilliant greenery of Prospect Park; zooming past gaggles of black-clad Hasidic Jews and packs of gang-bangers and aviator-wearing parent-supported artists and tattooed moms with double-strollers and painters sunning themselves in front of waterfront warehouses. Readying to reply to the inevitable passerby shout of “Whatchu doin’ on that tiny bike?” with:

“Practicing for my circus clown career!”

Too-short and rusty bike having been custom-built for A. means my knees jackhammering near my chin as we breeze the wrong way down one-way streets at a healthy clip of speed, A. on her roommate’s bike grinning back as we dodge everything from school-buses decorated with Hebrew script to shining-rimmed Cadillacs. Collapse on the grass in Prospect Park, opening my eyes to a blazing blue sky and a random fuzzy puppy peering down at me, drooling on my forehead.

Three hundred miles to the south my friend lies in a hospital bed with his bones fractured and morphine in his bloodstream.

--

Walking into the Post Office across from Madison Square Garden, in search of a suitable box to mail K’s possessions back to her. With J. in tow, because we plan to grab food afterwards, explaining the car-wreck of the last couple weeks. J., for the record, is laughing his head off.

“Dude, totally, listen, in the envelope for the check, just put a photo of you giving the camera the finger or something. Like, Ha! I’m keeping the money! Combat pay! Show that grubby little –“

“Be nice, man.”

“You are a wimp.”

No boxes on view can accommodate a hair dryer and a shoebox of feminine products. This presents potential issues. “I’m just looking for a little good karma,” I say.

“Then send her the stuff. Save the money. Contribute towards an Xbox 360.”

“I said I’d send it.” I look around, as if appropriate-sized boxes will suddenly manifest themselves in one corner or another.

“Um, so?” J. bends at the waist to not-so-subtly check out a passing woman. “You don’t owe her crap. Besides, you paid enough already.”

“You’re becoming my jerk conscience, aren’t you?”

He grins. “I aim to save you from yourself, bud.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home