Not-So-Divine Comedy

Adventures of an editor and freelance writer in NYC

10.4.07

My Book Dreams Limping Along

So I have an agent – sort of.

Isn’t that like being ‘sort of’ dead?

Well, said agent read the book, and really liked the book, but pointed out major structural issues that impede the book from being all the book could be. Specifically, the book veers from, first to third act, “interesting, intellectual thriller to gruesome-but-quirky shoot-'em-up violence” without a consistent spine. If I fix this, apparently, she thinks she can sell it. All in all she handed back maybe three pages’ worth of notes; but if my revisions aren’t up to snuff, then it’s all for nought.

So it’s not like you’re signed or anything.

Yes! Nothing is easy these days – particularly over the last week.

How long will these revisions take?

Oh, about three months.

Guess who’s living like a monk until Independence Day!

Shut up. I have a knife.

Tell them about the other not-so-fantastic thing that happened!

Relationship fall down go boom?

No, not that, the other thing!

Oh yeah, I failed to make the semi-finals in the Gather.com First Chapters contest. I’m tempted to make a disparaging comment here about chunky antisocial Renaissance-garb-wearing motherfuckers having more World of Warcraft battle-buddies to vote on their abysmally structured Harry Potter rip-offs than I had actual people giving me constructive criticism, but my intention from the beginning wasn’t to win (although it might have been nice); I just wanted to get high enough in the rankings to give me leverage and visibility for my own literary-world designs. Argh!

More about Miami, Connecticut, etc. upcoming…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home